Too tired for sex?
There is growing evidence that a lack of decent sleep affects the sexuality of both men and women.
Women married to high-profile, workaholic men, often take strain in the bedroom because husbands are either too tired, or unable to perform, due to poor sleep habits.
Studies have also revealed that being tired is the most common reason women give to avoid having sex. In the past, the white lie of a headache or migraine, was the main reason.
Feeling tired, though, may be the truth, especially in the case of women who have sleep problems.
There is not one single factor that negatively affects the complicated matter sexual desire, but a poor sleep pattern is definitely a major cause on its own.
Even if only one partner suffers from a lack of sleep, the sexuality of both partners is affected.
How lack of sleep affects a man’s sexuality
- Not getting enough sleep can lower your sperm count. When the sleep cycle is interrupted, the body does not release as many reproduction hormones, and may result in infertility.
- A study from the University of Chicago revealed that a chronic lack of sleep can absolutely destroy sex drive in men.
- Studies have also shown that poor sleep patterns are directly linked to erectile dysfunction.
- Research has indicated that men who do not get enough sleep, less than 5 hours per night, especially younger men who like to party and burn the midnight oil, had 15% less testosterone than normal. This is equivalent to the loss which occurs in 10 to 15 years of aging. Low levels of testosterone are a major cause of low libido.
- Low T is also linked to a higher risk of developing heart disease, stroke, and type 2 diabetes.
- Losing sleep raises your stress levels, and increased levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, is pumped into the bloodstream. Higher than normal levels of cortisol have been scientifically proven to disrupt the male libido, and can potentially cause erectile dysfunction, by blocking testosterone’s beneficial effects on the body.
Get help if necessary to get much-needed quality sleep on track. It is the quality of sleep you get that matters much more than the quantity.
How a woman’s libido can be affected by lack of sleep
Because women have different needs to men, sorting out a lack of sex drive is usually much more complicated. Whatever the reasons may be, a lack of good sleep and tiredness will only add to the burden of low libido.
- Sleep deprivation leads to increased stress and higher levels of the stress hormone cortisol. High cortisol also leads to lower estrogen and progesterone which are necessary for sexual desire.
- Women also need a certain amount of testosterone, and the small amount necessary is produced in the ovaries. The lack of decent sleep can affect the production of testosterone in the ovaries, leading to, among other things, a drastic drop in libido.
The lack of sleep not only impacts a woman’s desire for sex, but also leads to ovulation problems which affects fertility.
Some ways to sleep better
When we sleep, our bodies get time to recover, repair, and gather strength for the day ahead. When you get less sleep, there is less time to repair, and things start to go awry.
Here are some easy ways to help you sleep better.
- This one is not so easy, but if you really are a poor sleeper, you should make the effort. Try and go to sleep and get up at the same time each day, but be sure that it suits your lifestyle. Stick to the schedule and your body clock will get into gear. You can and will begin to sleep better.
- Cut down on caffeine from early in the afternoon. The effects of caffeine can last up to 8 hours, and may keep you wired and awake.
- Try not to eat a big meal late at night. Your digestive system will have to work overtime to digest the food, and painful acid indigestion can keep you awake.
- If you drink too many fluids in the evening, your sleep will be disrupted when you have to get up 3 or 4 times to go to the bathroom.
- Invest in a new mattress if yours is sagging and uncomfortable.
- Keep your room dark and quiet. Turn off the TV and phone so that is artificial light.
Persevere, and if nothing helps, consider a visit to the doctor for medical advice.
We can help
If your sexual desire is in the doldrums because of a lack of sleep, we can help you get it back on track.
HERBAL REMEDIES INTERNATIONAL have taken some of the most potent natural herbs which have been scientifically proved to enhance the libido of both men and women, and developed a powerful formula to help combat low libido.
Our products are safe to take, and do not need a doctor’s prescription.
For more information about our exceptional range of products visit us at: www.herbalremedies.co.za and see how we can help YOU!